April!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The return of NaPoWriMo

Can't imagine a better reason to reactivate my poetry blog.  I'll be using the NaPoWriMo prompts posted at the national website http://napowrimo.net  I 'm going to try, once again, to post a  new poem every day for the month of April - National Poetry Month, of course!  The first prompt is a carpe diem poem after the fashion of Andrew Marvell, or not.


Pluck the Day


Carpe diem they tell us, but I’d rather pluck
each day as a single rose, a surprise
growing on my doorstep, and be amazed
at its impossible layering -  soft, predictable,
mysterious. And its pain.  That thorn
is always present in wierd places. 
It hurts.  You bleed.  Did you know there is no
redemption? Suppose you can never have
what you cherish most?
If you pretend
there is no thorn and joyfully pluck each day,
you can live without ever being forgiven,
exist without being loved.
You cannot survive without beauty.
Pluck.




1 comment:

  1. Jane Bell LassiterApril 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM

    Lovely... and I couldn't agree more, "you cannot survive without beauty."

    ReplyDelete